July 12, 2012

DR Buffet Re-Do in a day (pretty much)

So what do you do when you have a huge annual summer party to prep for on Saturday and you are out almost every night of the week with bible study or swim meet, etc., and therefore running on a limited timeline?

Paint your buffet! Did I say I have no time management skills? I actually do have great time management skills therefore I knew I could get this done and still be ready for my hubby's B-Day party! Can't have him as second best, he works too hard for our family and is an amazing Dad to boot.
We got this buffet, along with a table AND six chairs at the Goodwill 18 years ago for $50!! It was one of the first things my hubby and I bought as a married couple for our little home. The buffet lasted a whole lot longer than the table and chairs did once the kiddos came along. The table and chairs didn't survive our move 10 years ago but the buffet did although it has beat to absolute death I tell ya'.  I didn't want to replace it because it has mucho storage-o and therefore a keeper in a house with no storage to speak of. But the color of paint to transform it wasn't coming to me.

Then I saw the Two-Toned Buffet done by Cathy at My 1929 Charmer and I had my idea. Go see it. It is gorge. So as soon as I had the idea, well, you know how that goes.

Removed the hardware and scrubbed it (right) using a vinegar and baking soda bath. Then dry brushed them (left) with a very little bit of Rub 'N Buff in Silver Leaf.


Here's a close up of the difference. Dry-brushing is like stenciling in that you put a little bit of paint on your brush and then take almost of all of it off then brush your object with what is left on your paint brush. I used the same technique with the Rub 'N Buff but really had to be careful because a little of the wax goes a loooooong way. You really had to add just a touch to your brush and then really wipe it off using a paper towel before applying. I really like how the pulls turned out. Especially when I put them back on the buffet. You couldn't really notice them in the before picture....am I saying "really" as much as I think I am?



 Okay, here she is a day later, some Furniture Restore rubbed into the wood, and a few coats of paint brighter.....


 Holy Moly! She's a beauty!

 Maybe I should try some of that Restore as a facial.......

Furniture Restore still drying, but too excited to wait to take the picture! Because it takes a few days before you can rest anything on paint, I didn't even want to put the knick knacks on to take a picture. Paint needs a full 30 days to cure before you can use it like everyday use. If you can't wait for that, at least put those little felt circles on everything but still wait a few days after painting before displaying anything on your top.


Before                                      
 After
Paint really is that good. We'll keep her for another 18 years I hope.

Always being renewed,


Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies! Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday... southern hospitality

My Repurposed Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbialollipops

55 comments:

  1. OMG! LOVE! Totally inspired me to do this to a HUGE French dresser I've been stuck on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job! It turned out absolutly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What color and kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Behr paint from Home Depot in Polished Pearl. It took about 3 coats to really cover after a light sanding. I did not prime it, although probably should have but if it gets weathered it will be okay with me.

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I really, really love the way the hardware came out.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love LOVE it! Great idea with the silver run n'buff. I gotta try that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love those Heppelwhite hardware pulls. Your buffet turned out beautiful! Strong masculine framework, but the white really softens it! *love* Wish you still had the table and chair to try to redo??

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation! She is a beauty and so pretty against your soft blue walls. Who would have thought you could give that buffet such a change?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous buffet and such a great transformation, seemingly over night :)

    It's a great piece so I can see why have held on to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful transformation....totally loving the hardware, too!! Your latest follower (from Redoux). Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Kim, it turned out just beautiful! It was so nice meeting you on I love Thrifting Day! Let's get together in September when the kids go back to school!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, the power of paint. Absolutely beautiful job! And I'm so impressed that you did it in a day (pretty much). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your buffet makeover is beautiful, and I was thrilled to see my two toned charmer buffet inspired you. What a great compliment! I sure you share this today at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! The paint celebrates the wood!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Buffet! I love the 2 tone look and the hardware. I'm visiting from My 1929 Charmer. I'm a new follower would love it if you followed back. Have a fabulous week! HUGS, Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful...I just finished one and linked it to "naps," too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! I love the contrast of the two colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another Love It project! I gotta get brave and paint some of my old furniture.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  18. can i just give you a big ol' virtual hug??? I love it! I have a buffet that seriously needs some love, and I was thinking of two tone but was a little scared; this confirmed that it would be a great idea...and I'm so looking into the furniture restore you mentioned! THANK you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your buffet is gorgeous! May I ask if Furniture Restore is an actual name of a product? If so I sure need it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it all the time and I got the name wrong! It is actually called Restor-A-Finish by Howard. It is with the polys and stains in your hardware store.

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      The buffet is lovely!
      Did you remove the old finish, re-stain and then use the Restor-A-Finish? Or is this just rubbed on & then off? Sort of filling in the little nicks & scrapes?
      Cathy

      Delete
  20. As gorgeous as the first time I seen it, so glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! Thanks so much for linking this up to the Pinworthy Projects Party last week! I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy Moly is right! It looks super! I'm sure it was beautiful for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love projects that can be done in a day and look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job! Wow, this is an amazing transformation! I'm now following and look forward to more wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This turned out beautifully! Love the combo of the white and natural wood.

    ~Ashleigh @ rusticanthology.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very beautiful furniture you have there. Love the way it came out and I can't believe it only took a day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Kim, what a beautiful buffet! You did a wonderful job on this piece. I'm visiting from Restored it Wednesday. I would love you to come by and share at my party Totally Transformed Tuesday! Hope to see you there. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This turned out beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up at One Creative Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kim, again, awesome outcome on the furniture! I have nominated your blog for The Versatile Blogger Award - please go to my site to check out the rules / guidelines.
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a stunning transformation! Love it. :)

    Stopping by from Live Laugh Linky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This really is amazing!! I love the contrast of the white paint and the wood! Thanks for linking up - I featured you today! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2012/07/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-58/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I REALLY REALLY love it! I have been looking for a similar piece of furniture to do the exact same thing too, only I'm painting the wood a reddish color, except for the drawers and maybe the top too. You did a great job and it looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pinned it as inspiration for my living room. I'll be mentioning this piece on my blog this Friday. Thanks for inspiring me.
      Christa from www.controllingcraziness.blogspot.com

      Delete
  33. Just saw you featured on Too Much Time... this is gorgeous! I'd love something similar now... Thank you for sharing you amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm willing to keep it here for 40 years and more if you wish? haha IT'S WONDERFUL!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  35. My grandparents had the same buffet in their dining room. It is wonderful for storage, with lots of room for silverware and linens. My grandfather used the right bottom section as his liquor cabinet. And my grandmother kept candy stashed in the top right hand drawer. My brother now has the buffet in his front entry hall.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, this looks fab. I have a buffet in my dining room right now that I think needs this treatment. Love that it didn't take too long. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I featured this on Mod Mix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my, this looks amazing. Thanks for the info about the restore product. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is beautiful! I am so glad you kept the original hardware.. the look is so classic! I just found your blog and am your newest follower! If you have chance stop by mine!

    -Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, that looks great! I like how you kept some of the wood - it looks very classy, I think! I've got this linked to my sideboards post too today, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just found you thru pinterest and I'm in love. I inherited a dining room set, china cabinet, and buffet (extremely similar to yours) 10 years ago from a sweet great aunt. I'm now ready to make it really mine, but I've been afraid to paint to the entire piece and get rid of the wood totally. Great job, thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have the exact same buffet but my is chipping in some areas and I'm not sure what to do, did you have the same problem? If so how did you fix it? Also, where you able to sand the buffet b4 painting or just give it a good cleaning? I am thinking the furniture has a veneer layer on top?.. Do you take of the veneer off or just painted over it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My veneer was not chipping but you can fill it in with wood filler or Bondo, which I prefer. It is an automotive body dent filler and it works great on veneer issues. Then prime and paint right over it! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Yes, i cleaned and sanded it lightly before painting.

      Delete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...