March 23, 2013

My Frenchy Bench

Oh my. This bed gave me pups trying to turn it into a reading bench. But I am so glad that I persevered and took my time because I love it and can't wait to get it to the booth! Unless of course one of you is interested in it for your reading nook then email me and let me know asap and we can talk pricing!

But for now, here is the beauty shot!

And here it is before... of course I had cut the foot board in half before I took the before shot. Am I being redundant??


I had planned to use the hooks already provided to make the front brace so I had to take one side apart to get to the brace so I could see how it all went back together.

Removed wood piece covering the metal plugs holding the brace in place. Since I couldn't get to these, I just cut off the end 

and pried the pieces apart.

which then presented me with another wood piece to remove before 

....finally getting to the brace. At which point I gave up  for about 2 months because I realized I would not be able to reattach the brace in the same fashion and have any hope of it holding. So I painted some other furniture and just kept thinking on a solution. I finally decided to just counter sink screws from the outside of the side pieces and then cover with a wood peg. I actually like the added detail.

So then I got to painting my bench in what I thought was a perfect frenchy grey. Nope. Too blue and no amount of distressing, or added white paint or stain (see the lower left corner of the front brace) was making it any less blue. Fast forward to our Living Room Reno in February and I had found my frenchy grey! It was living on my ceiling the whole time! So I slapped some paint on the bench (very professionally of course), distressed lightly, and then waxed to nice shine. 

UPDATE: 
Thank goodness for comments! I totally forgot to show how I had created the brace on the back to hold the slats until Patty left a sweet comment and wanted to know this so she could make one herself. Well, Patty, here are the pics and info. and I apologize for leaving this out!

This is what the front brace looked like. Remember I used the original side piece so I did not have to do anything here except connect it to my side pieces. If I have not said it before, always use wood glue and screws to make you benches. Much sturdier than just screws. Once I had the frame all made, then I measures how high the front brace was from the floor and marked it on the back headboard with pencil. Use a long level to make sure your brace will be level. Measure in a few places to make sure all is level.

I purchased a 1"x 2" piece of pine and cut to length. Add glue to the back side of your 1 x 2, and clamp your wood piece in place using 5-6 squeeze clamps.  Pre-drill holes for your screws. You will need screws that will go through both the headboard and wood brace. I used 1.5" wood screws.  Now screw in your screws.

I had a few slats left over from when my son had a loft bed so I was able to cut these to length to fit across and provide support for the mattress.

So now you know how to do the braces.  Back to our regularly scheduled post......

And then couldn't get the thing out of my basement. I was ready to cry when my hubby came home and noticed my distress. His response? "Why didn't you come to the expert?"
See, in a past job life my husband was a furniture mover. He had it wrapped in plastic in 10 minutes flat, took the basement door off and it was up and out in about 30 minutes so I could take said "beauty shot" in the house! What he does for me is amazing.
Love. that. Man!

You can see the wood buttons on the front leg. 

The cool thing about double beds that you have turned into a bench is that they are the perfect width for a crib mattress! This will save some money on the cost of making a cushion and cushion cover. You can get all kinds of cool crib sheets now a days and you could even add an egg crate to the top if you wanted more "smooshiness" (aka comfort) for the top of the mattress.  

Just add pillows, a good book, and some french roast coffee, of course, and you are well on your way to an afternoon of ease.
Oh and  maybe some chocolate cake.


Always being renewed,



Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies! Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday... southern hospitality

My Repurposed Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbialollipops

Three Mango Seeds
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Mod Vintage Life

15 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great project! It looks amazing, love the new colour. It's nice to have a man around the house sometimes...they can be handy. ;)
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, like you really could curl up with a book and spend a few hours reading.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, love your bench ! what a terrific hubby, too, for being so sweet. Do you have any pictures showing how you added the braces that the mattress sets on ? Need to see that!

    thank you!
    patty
    soriano471@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Great job, you will have no problem selling that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY EASTER!
    Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured later today!
    I hope you are having a wonderful Easter weekend, and join me this evening for Make the Scene Monday #68!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome, Kim! Inspires wanting to get cozy, read, nap. lol! Love it! Beautiful work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! My guy and I just made two recently but I only finished one here is the link http://www.mysimplehomelife.com/2013/03/from-bed-to-bench.html , hopefully I get started on painting the other one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and what a beauty shot it is! would love to sink into this space with a good book, it looks like it's perfect for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is a really beautiful bench - love the curves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to feature you at the party this morning! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fantastique!!! I can't wait to make another bench, I love this so much. Sharing at my party today. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. visiting from redoux. well done being featured. i so love this I want to go and make one. Awesome instructions and I totally get it when you have to park items when they get too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily my basement is so small I can't afford to "park" too long and inspiration tends to strike quicker when my space is limited =-)

      Delete
  13. This is amazing! I love it ;) So glad I found your blog! Newest follower ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...