November 15, 2011

What a Croc!

 Blogging has really opened up a whole new world (cue Aladdin music) and I feel very fortunate to have "met" so many cool chicks. Savannah is one of them. She is from Los Angeles and she designs SHOES!!! Love her already!Well she saw my Toile Tables in my Etsy shop while searching for something totally different. Isn't it fun when people are brought together.  She asked me if I could change out the fabric as the Toile would not work in the room she wanted them for. I am always up for a challenge so bring it on.  Don't worry, no little croc had to die for these tables to live a new life. Here they are in all their modern chicness. And a how-to too.


Mod Podge really is a good glue. It was a bear getting the fabric off (lots of animals in this post somehow).
Use it to measure the new fabric and cut. Try to match up the design so the tops of the tables match.
Dry fit it like you did with the Toile and then get your tools. I did not want to glue the fabric down like I did before because the croc was a bit thicker and it would not have looked finished.  
So upholstery tacks to the rescue.  You will want to get a rubber mallet so that you do not damage the finish on the tacks. After putting in one whole side of tacks on the table, I was not seeing the tacks as such a good idea! And I had to take them out several times to make them straight. Not an easy task.
This is how you should remove a tack if you ever need to! Yes that is a fork. And a napkin. Very high level tools every DIYer should have in their tool box.  The napkin is so when you leverage the fork, you do not dent the edge of the table.

Plan B. Upholstery tack strip. AHHHHH, no one makes it in Black!!!!!

Plan C. Spray paint antique trim.
Works like a charm! And the finish is much more durable I must say then the original tacks!


Original way I tried to spray, kept curling up soooo,

Cut to length and then spray. Much Better. When I say cut to length, you will need to use sharp pliers and cut right next to the open hole. The individual tack that you use in the hole will cover the edge.

I know this picture is horrible but I wanted to show you the tack strip up close so you can see how it should work.



Spray the tacks that come with it.

You nail these in every 5th space. Because the hole will not always line up with your edge you will need to have an open space as close to the end as possible and then fill in with individual tacks.





What do  you think? Do Crocs Rules?


Always being renewed,

Linking to these creative hostesses:The Shabby NestFeathered Nest FridayRedoux{Primp}With A Shot Of Brandy

7 comments:

  1. Crocs definitely rule, Kim! I love the finished product!

    And you broke down the steps so a real person could follow along. Thank you for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the croc! What a great way to use it, too!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are Divine!!! I have a bunch of brassy furniture tacks that I should paint...not a big fan of that brassy color on most pieces. These tables have a lot of personality. Great work!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are FAB!!! You did an awesome job and thanks so much for a great tutorial!! I would love for you to come link up at our Coffee and Conversation party!! Passionatelyperfect.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on Primp's link-up! These are AWESOME! I'm going to have to try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool!! I would never have thought to do this, but my mind is spinning now. Featuring at my very late features party this morning. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out nice! I love it! I'm loving leather, especially croc, and nail head. I'm doing a door right now with nail head and leather. It's taking forever! The door is old, probably from the 20's and it's kinda crooked my husband says cause the nails are going on crooked. I'm wondering if that is just an excuse. Hmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...