October 7, 2014

Chicken Coop Coffee Table Take 2!

So some official business first! If you want to be in the know for special upcoming sales and other events that I will be participating in or just general ways that I am creating chaos, by all means…..add your name to the list. It is really very simple. Just add your email over there to the right where it says sign up for the news flash and look forward to the juicy deets to be forthcoming in your inbox!

P.S. this is different from the RSS feed that brings my posts to your inbox. That sign up is a bit further down the page….But hey, if you haven't signed up for that, please do. You'll be freakin' awesome so theres that…..

So now onto some other juicy deets…..

Yeah, I made another chicken coop coffee table. You might remember this one from a year or two ago.
 I bought another one last August for my birthday, and as usual, it sat in the basement until I had a reason to get to it. Well, the September Flea was coming up so I thought it would be great selling piece. I rustled up some old casters that I had removed from this table and added them to the coop.

 So first let me show you this beauty and then I'll get to the how…

I loved all of the dowel work. It just looks so unique.

And I love the fact that it still had it's markings on it. 
  
So this is how easy it is to just add casters to your coop. The other table had legs added to it and I used very small dresser casters I had left over from a previous project. The method for drilling your caster pin holes is the same but you need a larger base in which to actually sink those holes. My casters were pretty industrial so they had a 2" pin. The coop only had a 1" x 1" piece of wood and then plywood. 

So I added the 1x6 for two reasons. It makes the casters have a super sturdy base on which to rest and it allowed me to add my casters where I wanted and not right at the edge. It  also raises the coop up to the minimum recommended coffee table height of 18 inches. 

I mitered the corners of the 1x6's because it gives it a much cleaner look.  You don't want raw edges because they never sand out well with this type of wood, no matter how much you sand. So mitering is an extra step but I think critical to making it look professional. Once you have all your wood cut,you need to secure it to the coop. You are going to pre-drill your holes, making your drill bit slightly smaller than the screws you will be using. I used 2" wood screws.
 You can see where I screwed the boards to the coop bottom below. 
Once your boards are secure you are going to use the method I described in the first chicken coop post to drill your holes for the casters. Make sure you use casters that have brakes! Well, I think you can guess why……

I stained the new wood using a mix of Special Walnut and Red Mahogany from Minwax. The Walnut was the base and then I added the mahogany in places where I needed more red to match the coop. Then seal it and sell it!


So she made it to the Flea and got scooped up by a sweet acquaintance of mine. She also bought the drafting table set up next to the blue chair. She won best customer and best new friend award!
More on that awesome drafting table later this week!

Do you have a preference for chick coop you like better???











Always being renewed,



Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies!
DIY Show Off
Read more at http://diyshowoff.com/2013/04/01/that-diy-party-10/#xgMAcRCgRocl5vmh.99  Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday... southern hospitality

My Repurposed Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbialollipops

Three Mango Seeds
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Mod Vintage Life http://www.remodelaholic.com
Nancherrow

12 comments:

  1. That is so nice. I am inspired by your coffee table design. I'm going to have to look for something like this. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a sucker for casters so i love the second!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing your chicken coop table makes me so mad at myself for leaving a bit battered chicken coop when we left KY. Hubs kept insisting we couldn't get another thing in truck. Blast it I'd have found room. Ended up leaving several very useful things behind like old wood windows and old wood doors. drat.
    Chances of finding a chicken coop here in our neck of woods are pretty slim. If I did it would cost a fortune. People here are very greedy.
    Love your coffee table, it is incredible, especially with the casters which are so great looking on anything. Not the cheapy plastic ones, the good ones. Our Harbor Freight has them for decent prices. We made a big patio coffee table out of pallets and casters this summer but have yet to sell it. People here also don't have the "vision". They don't like distressed stuff at all. At least not out west of Grand Junction area where we live. Poooooh Love your table. Happy Fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your loss……of the chicken coop! But seriously, Thank you so much for the kind words and I will have to look into Harbor Freight for some more casters. I'm always looking for them.

      Delete
  4. OMGOSH! I love this!! I need to spend more time shopping yard sale and such. I would love if you come link up tomorrow on the Monday party!
    Xo
    Isabelle
    www.lechateaudesfleurs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get right to it and thank you for the sweet words!

      Delete
  5. Chicken Coop for a Coffee Table, Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim I am so in love, again!!! I love them both, can't decide, but either way I am featuring it at The Handmade Hangout tomorrow at Redouxinteriors. I am so jealous of the gal who picked this one up. Someday I am going to have a Chicken Coop Coffee Table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking. Come back again Monday! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...