April 26, 2013

Stuck in my Fireplace....

Since re-doing the Living Room, I have been on a mission to fix my hearth tile and surround. The surrounding tile is original but the previous homeowners had replaced the great subway tile hearth with white 4x4 and then I guess thought brown would look great painted over all of it. You wanna see?
I know this isn't a great picture but  you get the idea. I had tried to strip the paint off of the back of the fireplace but I think it is baked on from the heat! The subway tile came right off but the hearth tile never got done due to arrival of child #3. So It has stayed in this state for 5 years.

I finally had enough about three weeks ago and just painted it gold, since I had some  gold glaze laying around. 
It looked butt ugly.

Buuuut, I thought I'd try to live with it for a while to see if it was just shock.

Well, the shock has worn off and I am not sure if I want to add another coat and see or scrap the whole darn thing and go for replacing the hearth tile with something to match the surround.
And I have no idea what to do with the inside....
HELP!
What do you suggest?

Always being renewed,



Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies!
DIY Show Off
  Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday... southern hospitality

Mod Vintage LifeMy Repurposed Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbialollipops

Three Mango Seeds
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

6 comments:

  1. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i came to “return the favor”.
    I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    my blog: tusze

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your link at redoux interiors linky. I think you should bust out the tile and line the inside with metal. Black so it doesn't show the heat marks. You may be able to glue the metal over the tile. If you can find a heat resistant adhesive. Then use old shutters as a screen when not in use. I hope you'll come visit my blog too. http://calliescrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe paint the subway tile outside white, again. Inside, black fireproof paint (like you use on wood burning stoves) or replace with another material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, the gold looks dirty. Could just be the way the photo looks. I think it needs a second coat. I like the idea of using the gold glaze. I like the idea of painting the inside with fireproof paint, black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jenny Lynn...I would try painting the inside of the fireplace black. I saw years ago that Christopher Lowell painted things with black grill paint and that it stuck to anything (so I guess that would include tile). I found the paint at Lowe's (I think)and have used it sort of as a primer to things that I wanted paint to stick to and it worked. I think that especially the tiles on the floor need another coat of the glaze. I think for the second coat, go in the oppposite direction with the brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah - If you're burning a fire in it - or even if not - oil based fire proof spray paint like is used for barbecue pits might work. Rustoleum makes one.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...